Sunday, December 30, 2012

Chapter 5: Nobody Expects a Spanish Inquisition

       Knowing what to eat, how to think and when to exercise are great ways for keeping you on the path to your success. However, knowing what you’re up against and that there is going to be opposition is a very critical tool to have indeed.

I find that the moment you start to diet or care for your health, everyone has an opinion or a piece of advice to offer you to help you. Though their help is good and often sound, nobody wants to be bombarded by unsolicited advice.
I am here to tell you, it is going to happen, whether you want it to or not. People who have been successful with their diets, people who follow the hype on TV, or the latest diet trend/ fact are going to tell you about it. They are going to offer you their tips for success.
Personally I would say, “IGNORE IT ALL! It's all a bunch of hogwash!” However, that's not a great tone to take with someone trying to give you advice. After all, you never know when it might be good advice and good for you.
Nevertheless, keep this in mind: it is your diet, not theirs. Take their advice and keep it in your mental notes. Thank them for their help and support and that you will look into it. If you don't want their advice you can simply tell them, “Thank you, I appreciate your advice and I will take it in consideration, but for now I am going to stick with my plan.” If they continue, you can simply nod and smile. After all they are only trying to help.
In addition to this, you will be up against yourself. There will be days that you don't want to diet, you don't want to workout, you don't want to do anything but lay on the couch and pet a cat. You may get depressed that perhaps your weight loss isn't as progressive as you like. When this happens it is a good idea to measure yourself, because even if the weight isn't coming off, maybe your body is just reshaping itself. Like your weight, keep track of how many inches you've lost. It might just be the rewarding news you need to push you forward.
“But what if I haven't lost any weight, and my measurements are the same?” Well, that's life. However, don't let it get you down. When this happens it is a good idea to re-evaluate your plan, and what you are eating. Ask yourself these questions:
  • Have I been doing everything I can to consume the right amount of calories every day?
  • Did I consume enough fiber, every day?
  • Did I consume enough protein, every day?
  • Did I consume enough potassium, every day to balance out my sodium?
  • Did I keep my sodium low, every day?
  • Did I keep my fats low, every day?
  • Did I keep my carbohydrates low, every day?
  • Did I keep my sugars low, every day?
  • Did I drink enough water?
  • Did I do enough exercise?
  • Did I vary my exercise levels?
  • Have I pooped regularly every day? (see Chapter 3)
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, then those are the areas you need to focus on and look into. If you answered “Yes” to every single question above I want you to ask yourself this:
What is my level of Will Power?
If your Will Power is in the lower levels, it is time to find out why. In the end it might be more in your head then it is in your body. When you are not losing the weight or inches you want to, and you are doing everything to make it happen, you can hit a brick wall of depression. It is at this time that you need to do some research about what you are eating and what you are doing to get you back on the path to success. It is a good time to look at your goal and remind yourself that it is what you are working towards. Whenever I got down in the dumps to my lack of success, I reminded myself of the dress size I wanted to be. I then looked at where I was on my path to that dress size and attempted to analyze what it would take to reach my goal. In the end it meant that I had to do some harder work and some deeper motivation to not give up and stay the course. My best motivation tool of all was and is music.
Nothing can inspire or motivate you more like music. If you have access to music and can make your own play-list or mixed CD, do it. Find songs that will help boost your spirits into taking charge of your health. I found songs like Journey's “Don't Stop Believing,” and the musical Wicked's “Defy Gravity,” are great motivating songs. Now they may not be your musical tastes, but I know that there are hundreds, possibly even millions of songs out there about positive motivation. I recommend opening a Spotify account or Pandora to find new music that will help you get into the beat
When you create your own playlist remember that these are songs should inspire you to move forward and to stay the course. When you’re done, pick one song to be your anthem. This will be your own personal reverie!
Excellent! Now it is time to motivate you a little more with a little reward. There is nothing better then a dangling carrot or the light at the end of the tunnel to help push you to your next level of success. Think of it as a Mini Goal or even a personal oath you are going to take with yourself. Every time you feel as though  you are up against all odds with your success and are not going anywhere in your diet plan, I want you to give yourself a reward to work towards with two weeks to earn it. This reward can be anything (try to avoid fast foods though, because they can put you right back into the negative the following day). Treats can be as easy as material items like new cloths or even a single yummy desert. A simple desert can be just what the doctor ordered.


Reward Declaration
Enlarge, print out, fill in and place it where you will look at it everyday.

Now that you have made this oath, renew it and update it every time you feel as though you can't go on. Another thing you can do to help motivate your spirits, is taking a full length photo of yourself, and comparing it to a photo of you at the beginning of your diet. A picture can say a thousand words and help you to physically see the progress you have made. This should help you make it to your goal with leaps and bounds, and before you know it, you're a size smaller and emotionally richer for it.
This photo was my progress from 235 lbs to 190, back in 2009-2010. This is 4 months of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment