Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Skinny on Artificial Sweeteners

So this morning I woke up at 3:45 a.m. with a horrible migraine-headache. I fear the monster is back, and then it occurred to me that this might be just junk-food/Coca-cola withdrawal. I realized this when I had a severe craving for Coca-cola and I thought to myself "NO, NO, NO! I don't drink that stuff anymore. No junk!"

Since I started my diet again I am having to tap into some strong will power. The kind that will drag my butt to the finish line kicking and screaming, but at least I will get there.

I think if you are going to do a diet successfully you can allow for no distractions, cheats or days of indulgence. Some programs recommend having a treat day, which is nice and all, but I find that giving in to one treat day leads to another and then another or you end up calling it a "treat" weekend. Even on my birthday there will be no treats! I will simply have to design my food day around healthy food that appears to be a treat. Possibly more fruit will be involved.

So this is my current no-no list:
• junk food
• fast food
• sweets
• sugar sodas and drinks
• artificial sweeteners that cause headaches

Artificial Sweeteners are just bad. Know that. If you have a sweet tooth like me, try to avoid artificial sweeteners like Acesulfame potassium, Aspartame, Neotame, Saccharin and most definitely Sucralose, because these migraine-headache makers. Novel sweeteners and natural sweeteners are your friend. I like Monks Fruit extract, because it has zero calories and I haven't had any bad side-effects (thus far), http://www.monkfruit.org/. I like to use Skinnygirl Monk Fruit Extract Liquid Sweetener http://www.skinnygirlsweeteners.com/shop/monk-fruit-liquid-sweetener/ to sweeten things. It's expensive, but I feel it's worth it. 


For more information on artificial sweeteners in general and other natural sweeteners like stevia and agave see the mark up here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936

Skinny and I are going to be great friends again! I can feel it!

- M.E. Gober

No comments:

Post a Comment